An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Linux Systems Administrator at Semantico, an expanding digital publishing company in the heart of Brighton. Semantico has doubled its headcount in the last couple of years and, due to this expansion, this innovative forward-thinking organisation now requires a Linux Systems Administrator to join the team.
Primary purpose of the role:
The key aspects of the role are in managing the day to day operations of clients systems and applications, conducting system analysis and development, planning and implementing our hosting environment and services, working closely with the support team to support and manage our clients systems and applications and assisting the development team in building and maintaining servers and systems on behalf of our clients.
- Internal customers.
- Production team.
- Technical director.
- Systems team.
- Support team.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Maintaining our 250+ Ubuntu server estate using Puppet configuration management software
- Deployment of our software to Amazon Web Services and various paravirtualized systems (Vmware, LXC)
- Liaising with the remote hands team at The Bunker datacentre to provision bare metal in our colocation suite
- Working with our support team to ensure the uptime of our live sites with a limited on call rota (not 24/7)
- Supporting our key application subsystems: Tomcat, Jetty, Nginx, PostgreSQL, SolR, Cassandra
- Maintaining our monitoring systems (Collectd, Sensu, Nagios, Graphite)
- Maintaining our network infrastructure including BGP multi-homing
- Designing and performance testing the systems architecture of new projects
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and you will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the job.
Skills and experience:
- Programming / scripting experience
- Proven experience of Linux systems administration, design and maintenance in an HTTP application environment
- Skilled in performance measurement, capacity planning, diagnosing application failures, security hardening and diagnosing hardware failures
- Ability to administer networking equipment such as switches, load balancers, and firewalls
- Knowledge of TCP/IP network application protocols such as HTTP/S, SMTP
- Debian installation and configuration; Unix software installation, compilation and configuration
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies quickly with minimal support and guidance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritise and plan your own work
- Configuration management tools (Puppet).
- Understanding of Java web application development lifecycle and JVM internals.
- Project management qualification.
What we offer you:
- 35 hours working week (Monday-Friday) at our centrally located head office.
- A competitive salary.
- Other benefits including: 31 days holiday (inclusive of public holidays), a contributory pension, cycle to work scheme, free fruit, relaxed dress code, childcare vouchers and the best coffee in Brighton!
How to apply:
Send your CV, a covering letter, details of your salary expectations and your availability to start to: Semantico HR
Due to the anticipated high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact those who are invited for interview.
We will not accept any applications from recruitment agencies.